To sell for top dollar on today’s market, a home should be move-in ready. That means every part of the house, from the ground up, should be in its best condition. Therefore, before you list your home, double-checking the state and stability of your roof is vital. If your roof is in a state of disrepair, it can lose you thousands of dollars on the selling price of your home. Here are some reasons replacing your roof before you sell your house is a smart investment.
Benefits of a New Roof
The average roof lasts between 20 and 25 years depending on how it was installed. If your home is approaching or over that age and has not received a new roof, potential homebuyers will find out and offer you much less than your asking price. A new roof can benefit you and your wallet in the following ways:
- Elevate Curb Appeal – A brand-new roof will increase your home’s curb appeal—allowing it to attract potential buyers, create a bidding war, and sell much faster.
- Increase Home Value – Trying to sell a home with an old roof is like trying to sell a car with a cracked windshield; it’s obviously not going to sell for as much money as it could. A new roof will boost the value of your home and allow you to list it for more money.
- Save on Marketing Fees – An old, unattractive roof will turn away potential homebuyers who are uninterested in purchasing a home that will require an imminent roof replacement. Disinterest in your home will cause you to lower your asking price and spend more on marketing fees as your home sits on the market for weeks on end. Therefore, paying for a new roof before you sell your house can actually save you money in the long run.
What You Should Do Before Listing Your Home
- Schedule a Roof Inspection – Having your roof inspected gives you the opportunity to know what problem areas require attention and determine if your roof needs a few minor repairs or a complete replacement. This way, when potential buyers order their inspection before your sale is finalized, there will be no issues that could jeopardize your closing.
- Repair and Replace – No one wants to inherit a fixer-upper. Now that your roof has been inspected, you can hire a professional roofing company to deal with any issues that may have been discovered, such as:
- Missing, loose, or cracked shingles
- Rusty vents, soffits, and gutters
- Mold, mildew, or fungus growth
- Saggy, spongy patches that cause leaks and collapse
- Visible damage and deterioration
Complete Roofing Professionals
If you’re ready to sell your home, don’t overlook the importance of a fresh roof. Contact the experts at Batterbee Roofing for all your roofing needs. Whether you just need a few roof repairs or an entire replacement, we’ll work with you to figure out the best method of action to keep your roof sturdy and safe for years to come! Call us today for a free consultation at 352-748-6300.